Friday, September 30, 2016

A game at the new house

We are slowly getting settled in to our new house.  Fortunately, it has a generous space in the basement for me to set up my game table and shelves.


A good friend of mine has been wanting to learn Armada, so we took the time to get in a game last evening.  I'm actually not fully done with the move yet, so the game was briefly interrupted so we could run over to my old house and load a truck for a trip to the dump.



So, that interruption did keep me from writing up a full battle report.  I did have a couple of thoughts after the game:
  • Grav Shift Reroute continues to be amazing.  My friend was 1st player with the Imperials and was able to move the contested outpost to the middle of the table completely nulifying the second player advantage.
  • Ion Cannon Batteries on the Interdictor continue to impress me.  They were consistently working.  I need to try it with NK-7s at some point.
  • Toryn Farr was great and got me an impressive number of re-rolls throughout the game.  I often focus on her ability in the anti-squadron game and forget to use her to fish for crits or accuracies.

Hopefully I will be getting back to my regular writing schedule soon as the we get settled in the new place.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the move went well, and look forward to more articles in due course.

    Had a tournament yesterday with 28 players, which was a lot of fun. (Came 7th, despite driving my MC80 off the board in the first round!!) My key takeaway from all the games - squadron heavy builds now seem to be the way to go. A bit like happened in WW2, the days of capital ships duelling alone are long gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will see a swing towards squadron heavy builds for awhile. The last wave provided some nice boosts to squadron builds.

      I am starting to look at my fleets in terms of how to "harvest" those squadron points. It is rare to table someone at this point and many players will have more than 100 points tied up in squads. Quickly and efficiently harvesting those points can really impact the outcome of a tournament.

      Delete
    2. Agreed, my only 10-0 was against a dual ISD fleet that I could focus down one at once. Generally most fleets are more durable so can survive 6 rounds without being tabled.

      I want to get some more games in to makes those squadrons work. Starting with the Empire again!

      Delete
  2. The squadron fever will only get worse after the intro of wave 5 and the new squadrons there like e-wings (snipe!) and assorted imperial squadrons like tie defender and phantom. Rebs will also get another cheap squadron in z-95. It looks great for someone who enjoys the squadron play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new home!

    Looking forward to some good articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see the new house is tabletopgames-friendly.
    The wait is painful but will be rewarded for sure. ;)
    Happy new home!

    ReplyDelete